My Tiny House

Hannah has got nothing else to do. And so, with this in mind, she blogs.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Excerpts

Here's the dirty little secret, Tam Lin whispered in his ear. No one can tell the difference between a clone and a human. That's because there isn't any difference. The idea of clones being inferior is a filthy lie.

Then Celia's arms were around him, and Matt could smell the cilantro leaves she chopped up when she was cooking. I love you, mi hijo, she said, hugging him. Never forget that.

Next, El Patron put his gnarled old hand on Matt's head and said, How I scrambled for the coins the Mayor threw me! How I rolled in the dirt like a pig! But I needed the money. I was so poor, I didn't have two pesos to rub together. You're just like I was at that age.

Matt shivered. El Patron hadn't loved him, but the emotion the old man had given him was just as strong: the will to live, to put out branches until he overshadowed the whole forest. Matt turned away from El Patron and saw--in his mind--Maria.

Gosh, I've missed you! said Maria, giving him a kiss.
I love you, Matt said.
I love you, too, Maria replied. I know that's a sin, and I'll probably go to hell for it.
If I have a soul, I'll go with you, promised Matt.

---

An excerpt from The House of the Scorpion, by Nancy Farmer. It's a kid's book, but I haven't read one quite like this since The Giver. Yes, it's another one of those amazing, interesting books that pull out your emotions and play with your head. The last bit caught me. And you might know why. Anyway, I look to finishing the book tonight, and if not, during the first hours of tomorrow.

I'm going to San Antonio, Isabela with the family to spend time with my last grandma, Lola Pacing. And the ever-smoking, porkchop-cooking, beer-drinking, car-fixing Tito Victor, and his lovely young wife ate Tita Maricon.

Here's to 12 hours in the car with Abigail and Pat. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home